| || |
Measure S: A Sales Tax on the November 8th Ballot
Our City’s first priority is protecting the safety of our citizens and maintaining a quality of life we all value in our community. In order to provide stable, local funding to meet these needs, the Downey City Council voted on June 28, 2016 to place Measure S, a Transactions and Use Tax Measure on the November 8, 2016 ballot. This measure would:
- Maintain a city-run Police Department and Fire Department which ensures quick response times to Downey emergencies, saving lives and keeping our community safe which ensures quick response times to Downey emergencies, saving lives and keeping our community safe
- Put more police officers on the street and enhance police services to support crime, gang and drug prevention programs like safe and supervised activities for kids that keep them off the streets, away from gangs and out of trouble
- Ensure fire engines and emergency vehicles have updated equipment have updated equipment
- Ensure adequate funding for parks, youth and senior programs and keep Downey one of the safest cities, with the highest quality of life, in the area and keep Downey one of the safest cities, with the highest quality of life, in the area
- Invest in early repairs of streets and sidewalks to continue to improve Downey’s business community and avoid extremely costly repairs in the future to continue to improve Downey’s business community and avoid extremely costly repairs in the future
Measure S proposes to increase the sales tax by one-half cent. By increasing our sales tax, this measure would provide nine million dollars for Downey annually that could not be taken by Sacramento. An independent citizens’ oversight committee would guarantee all funds are spent properly.
MEASURE S INFORMATION
Measure Informational Fact Sheet
Downey Finance Measure Survey
For questions or more information, please contact the City Manager's Office at (562) 904-7284.
ADDITIONAL MEASURE INFORMATION
Agenda Report (click here) & Adopted Resolutions
Resolution No. 16-7654 - Requesting the LA County Board of Supervisors Consolidate an Election for a Transactions and Use Tax Measure
Resolution No. 16-7655 - Transactions and Use Tax Measure Authorizing Certain Council Members to Prepare Primary Written Argument & Directing City Attorney to Prepare Impartial Analysis
Resolution No. 16-7656 - Authorizing Rebuttal Arguments for the Transaction and Use Tax Measure
Resolution No. 16-7657 - Creating Independent Citizens' Oversight Committee
Proposed Transaction and Use Tax Ordinance (click here)
Notice Placing Measure on the Ballot - (English) (Spanish) (Korean) (Chinese)
Please refer to California Election Code Section 9280-9287 for information on how to submit an Argument In Favor of/Opposition Opposed to the Ballot Measure. Please refer to the below forms for additional information & instructions. Forms must accompany your submittal.
Argument and Rebuttal Form (click here)
Authorization for Another Person to Sign Rebuttal (click here)