| || |
Mario came from Cuba at the age of 6 and was raised locally. After majoring in Economics he Co-Founded Scanlon-Guerra-Burke Insurance Brokers ( SGB-NIA ) and has been President of the firm. His firm was recently named one of the Top 10 largest brokerage firms in Southern California by the Los Angeles Business Journal. They were also named as one of the Top 100 Brokers in the United States. He obtained the Certified Professional Insurance Agent (CPIA) designation in 1990.
He has been honored as" Agent of the Year” by several trade organizations and he also received a lifetime service award from his peers and Insurance Journal magazine for his commitment and dedication to his industry.
He was ordained a Deacon, a member of the clergy, in the Catholic Church by Cardinal Mahony in 2002. He currently serves as Chaplain of the Downey Police Department and is a member of the International Conference of Police Chaplains. He was called and served in New Orleans and Houston after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
He serves in ministry at Saint Linus Catholic Church and as a stational Deacon at the Cathedral of our Lady of the Angels. He and his wife Ann are co-founders of Angel Tree for Downey which last year served over 275 children during the holidays. They also founded the Diakonia Foundation which gives scholarships to local High School kids for community service and outreach to others.
Locally he is a proud to serve on many of his favorite community organizations dedicated to making Downey and our surrounding areas a better place for all. From Downey Rotary, Downey YMCA, TLC to WD Little League. He currently serves proudly on the US Army Advisory Board representing LA Battalion Roughriders.
As Mayor he started and served as Chairman of Downey’s Green Task Force. He is proud to have promoted our city’s culture to bring economic development to Downey. Downey was one of the finalists for Most Business Friendly City several times. He is proud of helping to create over 6000 new jobs in Downey over the past 4 years. And he helped lead Downey to become a Character Counts community.
He has helped facilitated the revitalization and planning of Downtown Downey and has served on this vital sub-committee since he was first elected. He was instrumental in starting a Farmers Market in Downtown Downey. He believes that community involvement makes a difference and attended over 120 of the new neighborhood watch groups started in Downey in the past 3 years.
He was elected to the Downey City Council in the November 2006 with 64% of the vote and was re-elected in November 2010. He served as Mayor from 2008 to December 2009 and was sworn in as Mayor again in December of 2012. His Healthy Downey initiative has helped bring attention and sustainability to health awareness issues confronting our community and Walking Wednesdays with the Mayor have become community gatherings.
He is very proud to have been named Non-Partisan Elected Official of the Year for Los Angeles County.
Mario, his wife Ann, and their five children have proudly made Downey their home for over 35 years.
Downey City Council Inter-Government Committees
- Independent Cities Association - President Elect
- California Contract Cities Association- Chairman of Audit and Budget
- California Contract Cities Association – Legislative Committee
- Downey Police and Fire Foundation
- Gangs out of Downey (G.O.O.D.)
- Independent Cities Risk Management Authority
- Los Angeles City Selection Committee
- Orangeline Authority - Alternative
- Southeast Water Coalition Policy Board
- L. A. County Sanitation Board
- Southern California Association of Governments – Transportation Committee
Downey City Council Sub-Committees
- Audit / Budget Subcommittee
- Downtown Subcommittee
- Rancho Los Amigos Property
- Emergency Preparedness
- Website Subcommittee
- Chairman of Green Task Force
- City Branding Committee
Downey Civic and Community Involvement
- Downey YMCA Board and Chairman's Roundtable
- Downey Rotary
- DUSD Character Counts Committee
- Memorial Trust Foundation of DRMC - Past Chair
- Downey Police Department Chaplain
- International Conference of Police Chaplains
- True Lasting Connections
- Diakonia Foundation Chairman
- West Downey Little League
- Downey Historical Society - Lifetime Member
- Downey Chamber of Commerce - Member
- Aerospace legacy Foundation – Lifetime member
Downey City Hall
11111 Brookshire Avenue
Downey, CA 90241