Engineering Division contributes to the overall City purpose by providing many public works services and facilities, in accordance with policies set by City Council. These range from fundamental services such as Capital Improvement Programs, surveying, right-of-way acquisition, design, regulatory permit acquisition, document preparation, contract administration, review and approval of plans, and construction inspection, review and approval of publicly dedicated subdivisions, issuance of right-of-way improvement permits and driveway permits, design of city roads, street access, transportation planning and lighting, to regulatory functions such as traffic control, parking enforcement, and preservation of utility and communication corridors.
A key objective of Engineering Services is to provide these services at minimum cost to the taxpayer and in a manner responsive to the needs of citizens.
As demands always exceed funds, it is necessary to set priorities. Engineering Services' priorities are as follows:
- Ensure the safety of the citizens and provide core services
- Protect the City's vast public investment
- Protect the environment
- Provide amenity features such as attractive streets, street trees and street furniture, and certain control functions
Performance of the above functions in an efficient and cost-effective manner contributes to the health and safety of the City's residents, the City's economic viability, and the quality of life of its citizens.
The Engineering Division is organized into four functional groups: Office Engineering, Capital Improvements, Traffic Engineering and Geographical Information Systems. Staff in Engineering Services Division have a broad range of skills and experience in many facets of engineering and comprise of civil engineers, project managers, inspectors and other administrative personnel.
- Provide survey, engineering, and construction management services.
- Develop the Capital Improvement Program for the Departmental Projects.
- Survey, design, and inspect construction of projects in the Capital Improvement Programs.
- Prepare and procure the necessary federal, state and local permits for projects in the Capital Improvement Programs.
- Prepare and support submittals of federal and state grant applications for roadway improvements.
- Review and approve for compliance with the local and City code of laws and policies.
- Inspect construction of roadways to be publicly dedicated.
- Review and approve of final plats for recordation into the Official Records at Los Angeles County.
- Administer permitting and inspection of water, sewer and storm drain construction.
- Administer permitting and inspection of utilities constructed within right-of-ways.
- Administer permitting and inspection of driveway connections to the City’s roadway system.
- Represent the City on local transportation and bicycle safety committees.
- Provide GIS data and graphical presentations with the automated systems for the department and divisions.
- Respond and provide information to the public in regards to traffic data, flood mapping, aerial photography, etc.
- Develop, administer and manage contractual agreements with outside consultants and contractors.
- Provide data and participate in litigation issues for and against City of Downey.
- Plan and administer storm water/urban runoff programs to protect the receiving water bodies from pollution.