News Details

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - Finevale Dr.

On Tuesday, January 04, 2011 at 00:14 hours Engine 63 and Paramedic Squad 642 responded to the 7500 block of Finevale Drive on an unknown medical response.  Upon arrival, Downey PD was outside the residence with five family members complaining of weakness, dizziness, and headaches.  While Downey Paramedics rendered aid to the family, Personnel from Engine 63 investigated the interior of the residence utilizing their atmospheric monitor equipment and were able to detect elevated carbon monoxide levels.  Due to the cold temperatures, the family had turned on their furnace 4 hours earlier.  This was the first time this winter the family had used the heater.  All five family were subsquently overcome by Carbon Monoxide.  The patients were treated on-scene for Carbon Monoxide poisoning.  Downey Fire Paramedics transported two of the patients to Kaiser-Downey for further medical evaluation.  The other three patients refused further medical treatment.  The Fire Department ventilated the structure, and Southern California Gas Company responded to the location and verified the source of the Carbon Monoxide to be the faulty furnace.