Every year numerous injuries and property damage are caused by the use of illegal fireworks. The Downey Police and Fire Departments will be out in force this 4th of July holiday, on the lookout for the use or possession of illegal and dangerous fireworks.
The City of Downey has a “zero tolerance” for illegal fireworks, but allows for the sale and use of legal fireworks, identifiable by the California Fire Marshal’s “Safe and Sane” seal. Legal fireworks may be purchased between July 1st and July 4th. Fireworks not purchased at a community sales booth are illegal. Fireworks purchased in another state, over the internet, or from any other source are illegal. Any firework that launches into the air, propels across the ground, or explodes, is illegal to sell or possess and can result in fines and/or arrest.
The Downey Police Department and the Downey Fire Department want residents to enjoy a safe Independence Day and ask that you remember the following:
· The City has “Zero Tolerance” toward the use or possession of illegal fireworks
· Fines begin at $2,000 for a first offense and increase up to $3,000
· Property owners can be held responsible if illegal fireworks are used on their property or if illegal fireworks are in the possession of others
· Use of fireworks is prohibited in city parks
· Possession of any fireworks by anyone under the age of eighteen (18) is prohibited
· The discharge of “safe and sane” fireworks must be in the presence of a responsible adult
· The discharge of “Safe and Sane” fireworks is permitted only on July 4th, from 3:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Those wishing to see a public display of professional fireworks might consider attending Calvary Chapel of Downey’s annual Freedom Fest celebration at Downey High School. The event is held from 5pm to 9pm and admission is free. More information on this event can be found at Calvary Chapel of Downey’s website at http://www.ccdowney.com/freedomfest/
To report the use or possession of illegal fireworks, please call the Downey Police Department at (562) 861-0771.
Press inquiries may be directed to:
Lieutenant Alex Irizabal
Downey Police Department