| || |
About the Downey Cemetery District
The Downey Cemetery District operates a cemetery that traces its roots back to 1868 with the burial of the small daughter of W.A. Spurlock, owner of the land where the cemetery is now located. He donated one acre by his daughter's grave as a burial ground for others in the vicinity. William H. Pendleton purchased the Surlock property and along with others donated more land for the cemetery. Between 1873 and 1880 the Downey Masonic Lodge began its own graveyard adjacent to the Downey Cemetery's eastern boundary. The Downey Cemetery District Association and the Masonic Cemetery began a petition movement in 1921 for the County of Los Angeles to create a cemetery district out of the two cemeteries. In 1928 this Downey Cemetery District was created.
The Downey Cemetery is the final resting place for pioneers of the Southeast region and local historical figures. The cemetery is the final resting site for over 9,000 souls, including veterans from the Civil War through the Gulf War. We honor our Veterans' with graveside flags on the annual Memorial Day tribute held at the cemetery.