Downey History Center
12540 S. Rives Ave.
Downey, CA 90242
10 am - 2 pm: Wednesday, Thursday & 3rd Saturday of each month.
By appointment to groups and researchers.
- Downey Historical Society - http://www.downeyhistoricalsociety.org/
- Welcome to the Downey History Center. We invite you to view our exhibits, make use of the research library, and join with us in the exciting adventure of historical preservation, education and research. Since history is made by people, we honor the Los Nietos Valley pioneers and our City's namesake, Governor John Gately Downey. Resources available to the public include:
- Downey Newspapers:(originals): 1989-1969 [complete]; 1888-1917 [broken run].
- Clipping File: (an on-going project): Newspapers and magazines.
- Photographs: Originals - 1870 to present; copy negatives and prints; 35mm slides of historic scenes and current events; post cards.
- Library: Books, pamphlets and periodicals on Downey, Los Angeles County, California, Indians, missions, archeology, architecture, photography, biography, ethnology, necrology, directories, Downey high school annuals, genealogical research on local pioneers and Governor Downey.
- Micro Film: Federal Censuses for Los Angeles County, 1850 - 1920; Sanborn fire insurance maps of area.
- Original Records: Early Downey school accounts books, insurance registers, Los Angeles County District Attorney's registers of arrests (1883 - 1919); walnut grower's stock certificate books; pioneer water company records; post office money order books; burial and cemetery records.
- Periodicals: City of Downey and Downey Chamber of Commerce; subscriptions to many publications about museums, preservation and history.
- Artifacts: Relics of Downey's past and other items representative of those used in the area.
The Downey History Center is staffed entirely by volunteers and depends upon your donations and membership in the Downey Historical Society.