The use of the Parks and Recreation Department facilities is for family or neighborhood related social functions. The facilities may not be used for business use or monetary gain that results from the exchange of money or events that conflict with City of Downey programming. No advertisement, petitions, or solicitations is allowed.
How to Make a Reservation
- You must be a resident of the City of Downey to reserve a park building or shelter except for the Apollo Park Activity Room, Golden Park Ball Field and Rio San Gabriel Ball Fields as those sites only can also be reserved out by non-Downey residents.
- Reservations must be made a minimum of (2) two weeks to a maximum of six months prior to the scheduled event.
- All reservations forms must be signed and fees paid before reservation request can be considered for approval.
- All reservations must be made in person and are based on a first-come, first-serve basis. No reservations will be taken over the telephone, email, mail or fax.
Items to Bring
Please bring the following to the Parks & Recreation Department Office:
- Current Downey utility bill (water, gas, electric, or landline); must be a hard copy unless reserving out the Apollo Park Activity Room, Golden Park Ball Field, or Rio San Gabriel Park Ball Fields as those sites only can be reserved out by non-residents as well.
- Driver's license or CA ID with Downey address
- Full payment (cash, check, or credit card)
|Facility||Resident Fee||Commercial Fee|
|Picnic Shelter (4 hour minimum)||$26.00 per hour||$39.00 per hour|
|Activity Room (2 hour minimum)||$37.00 per hour||$63.00 per hour|
|Kitchen(2 hour minimum)||$26.00 per hour||$42.00 per hour|
|Baseball/Athletic Field||$21.00 per hour||$34.00 per hour|
Apollo Park & McCaughan GymnasiumAmenities:
- Activity Room
- Athletic Fields
- Ball Diamonds
- Bocce Ball Court
- McCaughan Gymnasium
- Outdoor Sand Volleyball Courts
- Shuffleboard Court
- Walking Trail
- Parks & Facilities
- Reservable Facility
*Space can be reserved at the Activity Room, Athletic Fields, and Ball Diamonds. For more information, please visit the Park Facility and Shelter Reservations page.
Monday - Friday : 12:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Saturday : 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
The Gary P. McCaughan Gymnasium offers a variety of sport clinics and leagues for youth and adult.
The Gymnasium at Apollo Park was named in honor of Gary P. McCaughan, M.D. former Mayor and Council Member. Gary P. McCaughan is a hometown hero. From his earliest years as a school boy at Gallatin Elementary, Griffith Junior High and Warren High School, Gary was a leader and a scholar. He was also an employee of the Parks and Recreation Department from 1973 - 1976. At the University of California Irvine, Gary completed his undergraduate degree in Biology. Accepted to nine schools, Gary chose the University of Southern California and obtained his M.D. degree in 1981. After completing his medical Internship and Residency at UCI, Dr. McCaughan entered private practice as an anesthesiologist at Downey Community Hospital in 1984, where he still practices today. Besides being a respected doctor in town. Dr. McCaughan is also a dedicated community leader as evidenced in his two-term election to the City Council, which included two years as the Mayor of Downey. The list of his other civic interests is extensive and varied. Dr. McCaughan is married to the former Patricia McKendrick, a lifetime Downey resident, and they are the proud parents of four children. Dr. McCaughan is an example of what hard work, heart and commitment can do for a community. It is through his vision that the gymnasium was built.
For more information, please call the Parks and Recreation Department at (562) 904-7238 or visit us at:
Parks & Recreation Department
7850 Quill Drive
Downey, CA 90242
Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8:30am - 5:30pm
Closed on major holidays