The City of Downey is dedicated to pursuing environmentally friendly policies, programs and services that expand on past initiatives to promote energy conservation efforts. Below is a list of recent actions that demonstrate the City’s ongoing commitment to conserving and improving sustainability through smart technology and implementing environmentally friendly initiatives City-wide.
- 3,682.89 - Tons of recyclables diverted away from landfills
- 11 - public clean ups events
- 4 - Smart Gardening & Compositing Workshops
- 68.32 - Tons of Christmas Trees Recycled
- 1 - Hazardous Waste & Electronic Disposal Roundup
- 7- New compressed natural gas buses for Downey LINK
- 12% - City employees participating in ride sharing programs
- 29 - Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
- 544 - Trees Planted
- Completed replacement of parking lot lights at City Hall and Independence Park to LED
- $75,000 - Southern California Edison Energy Savings Rebates
- Achieved "Platinum" status through rehabilitation of 5 ground water wells
Additionally, the City Council adopted the City's Energy Action Plan in 2015, which incorporates the City's long-term vision for energy efficiency focuses around four primary objectives;
- Reduce the City's carbon footprint and its adverse effect on the environment
- Conserve energy at local government facilities
- Raise energy conservation awareness in local community and improve the quality of life
- Achieve Platinum Status pm the SCE Gateway Partnership
CLEAN POWER ALLIANCE
On October 24, 2017 the City Council authorized the City of Downey to join a local consortium, the Clean Power Alliance (CPA), to purchase wholesale electrical power for residents and businesses at competitive rates. Beginning February 2019, the CPA will be servicing Downey customers by purchasing electricity generated from renewable sources and delivering that electricity through the same Southern California Edison (SCE) power poles and power lines that supply your electricity today.
- CPA moves Downey from SCE’s 34% renewable power generation to CPA’s 50% renewable at a lower cost than SCE
- This significantly increases “green” energy utilized in Downey by reducing greenhouse emissions
- Downey customers may opt out (stay with SCE) or go with CPA and select a specific level of renewable power generation (36%, 50% or 100%)
How does it work?
The CPA purchases energy and transmits it through the City's existing provider, Southern California Edison (SCE). Customers will be able to choose from three renewable energy service levels through the Clean Power Alliance and SCE will continue to deliver the power to your home or business, send one bill and be responsible for resolving any issues with your electricity service. With CPA, you are able to change your rate to the option that best suits you, your family or your business best at any time.
Do I have to take any action?
As a customer, you don’t have to do anything to be automatically enrolled and should have received a pre-enrollment notice detailing more information on your options for service. The City of Downey has selected the Clean Power 50% renewable energy default level, but you can upgrade to the 100% Green Power renewable option or the 36% Lean Power option at any time once enrolled.
Will my bill look different?
Southern California Edison (SCE) will continue to deliver your power, send you an SCE bill and resolve any electrical service issues you have. You will see a new line item on the bill that addresses the cost of power generation costs from Clean Power Alliance. You can learn more about how your monthly bill will change with Clean Power Alliance using their bill comparison tool. You can also view rate sheets or contact the CPA at email@example.com for additional bill comparison assistance.
How do I make my selection?
Those selecting the Clean Power option don't need to take any action; you will automatically switch to 50% renewable power generation sources in February of 2019. For anyone who would like to select the 100% Green Power option, the 36% Lean Power option or opt out of CPA service entirely (remaining with SCE to provide your electrical power generation), visit the CPA website for detailed instructions.
Can I opt out of the CPA and remain with my current service provider?
The City of Downey is proud to bring clean, renewable power generation to Downey and support a greener, more sustainable future for our community through the Clean Power Alliance. However, if you would like to opt out of the CPA and remain with SCE, you can submit the necessary opt out form online or call (888) 585-3788 to speak to a CPA customer service representative directly.
Where can I find more information?
Customers can learn more, or opt out should they choose to, by visiting www.cleanpoweralliance.org.
Information on SCE Billing Issues
Due to unintended billing delays, current billing statements may show charges from multiple past billing cycles that were not included in prior bills. If this has occurred, please visit the SCE's FAQs web page or their Customer Service Center (800) 655-4555 for more information. Additionally, click here for more information regarding the billing issues.
UPCOMING GREEN PROJECTS
Additional green projects include the following:
- Synthetic Turf Conversion on Athletic Fields at Apollo and Independence Park through the use of Measure S.
- Implementation of a new workforce management software will help change City practices to a paperless process for payroll and timekeeping processes.
- Development of an Urban Forest Management Plan and designation of as a Tree City USA by the Arbor Day Foundation. Urban forest improves air quality, energy conservation and storm water attenuation.