Artists are invited to submit their qualifications for the opportunity to be added to a list of professional artists for referral to developers and/or sourcing for commissioning artists for City acquired art.
Art in Public Places Program Goals
The goal of Downey’s Art in Public Places Program is to provide a collection of permanent artwork (sculpture) of enduring original works suitable for outdoor location presenting a wide range of artwork styles.
Artist Qualification Criteria
The Community Development Department will consider artists whose qualifications meet the following criteria:
- Artist by profession
- Professional sculptor
- Poses formal sculpture education and training
- Nationally recognized
- Demonstrated ability of successful collaboration with design teams, architects, art consultants, developers, and public agencies
Artists who wish to be considered for inclusion in the “Artist List” are asked to complete the accompanying application and provide the following:
- A current curriculum vitae (including art education, training, group and solo exhibitions, private and public collections)
- Artist history of monumental sculpture commissions with assessed valuations within the last ten years
- Slides, photos reviews and critiques of completed work
Mail or Deliver to:
City of Downey - Community Development Department
P.O. Box 7016
Downey, CA 90241
The Approved Artist List is available upon request.