The City of Downey, in order to ensure compliance with all the applicable building codes and city regulations, has developed and/or provided the following informational handouts and code guidelines. These are designed to help you in obtaining the proper approvals and permits.
Some designs are more complicated and go beyond the scope of the city standard handouts and will require further design and/or engineering provided by a design professional.
A building permit may be issued only to a California licensed contractor or as an owner-builder living in a single-family residence. Permits for commercial, industrial or multiple residential projects (townhomes, condominiums, apartments, duplexes, etc.) are only issued to California licensed contractors.
Outside Agency Resource/Contact List
The City of Downey provides a listing of outside agencies that may have a potential to impact your project or have required review and/or fee requirements. During the submittal process, the applicable outside agencies will be identified and their requirements explained. Outside agencies are determined by the project scope, on a case by case basis.
City Of Downey Building Standard Handouts
Please note: these handouts reflect the current 2013 codes.
Application for Permit
- Block Wall and Pilaster Standard
- Building Energy Efficiency
- Gas Water Heater
- Green Building Requirements
- Installing Gas Piping
- Kitchen Renovation
- Patio Cover Standard
- Pool Barrier Requirements
- Residential Bathrooms
- Residential Re-Roof
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms
- Soils Report Requirements
- Swimming Pool Demolition
- Tankless Water Heater
- Window and Door Replacement
- Address Assignment Request
- Anti-Entrapment Verification
- Authorized Agent-Residential
- Common Wall Agreement
- Extension Request Application
- Pool Barrier Compliance Form
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Acknowledgement
- Unreasonable Hardship Application