Development Standards

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

How do I obtain room addition and property improvement permits?

City of Downey has established a new zoning code for single-family homes. Depending on the type of improvements, zoning permits can be issued subject to California Building Code and various City Departments requirements. For projects such as fences, gates, paving, driveways, accessory structures (less than 120 sq. ft.), air conditioning units, building permits can be issued over-the counter. The application is short and simple, and fees are a flat rate for single-family properties.

For over-the-counter permits, a plot plan showing the entire property, locations and dimensions of the proposed work is submitted to the Planning Division counter for review and approval. Below is an example of a plot plan that requires to submit for zoning permits. For larger scale projects, you can also visit the Planning counter to request a preliminary review of a project prior to submitting an application. If you have any questions or specific inquiries, please contact our information line at (562) 904-7154.

Residential Development Standards

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer