PARKS & RECREATION COVID-19 UPDATES
As the COVID-19 situation continues to rapidly evolve, the City of Downey Parks and Recreation Department will temporarily close the Barbara J. Riley Community and Senior Center, McCaughan Gym, Downey Theatre, Rio Honodo Event Center and Golf Course, as well as suspend programs, special events, and activities in parks and facilities. In addition, all reservations in buildings and parks will be canceled or rescheduled. Parks will remain open, except for the use of playground equipment, tennis courts, volleyball courts, basketball courts, fitness equipment and Skate Park. The closure currently is scheduled through April 19, 2020. Updates will be posted on our website.
Due to the Downey Unified School District closure, the ASPIRE program will also be closed until further notice.
Dial-a-Ride and DowneyLink transportation services will continue without interruption.
Staff will begin a Senior Wellness Check program for Downey senior residents. Patrons can register to participate by contacting (562) 904-7238.
For the Senior Congregate Meal Program frozen meal pick-up availability and registration, patrons can contact (562) 862-8800.
For COVID-19 updates and press releases from the City of Downey click here.
For a list of COVID-19 frequently asked questions click here.
- Monday through Friday: 8:30am - 5:30pm
- Saturday and Sundays: Closed
- Holidays: Closed
Direct Telephone Numbers
- Barbara J. Riley Community & Senior Center: (562) 904-7223
- Dial-A-Ride: (562) 904-7215
- McCaughan Gymnasium: (562) 904-7128
- Rio Hondo Golf Club (Pro Shop): (562) 927-2420
- Rio Hondo Event Center (Banquet/Restaurant): (562) 806-5020
- ASPIRE: (562) 904-8145
- Theatre Box Office: (562) 861-8211
- Downey Cemetery: (562) 904-7223
Parks & Recreation Department
7850 Quill Drive
Downey, CA 90242
(562) 869-2810 (fax)