This Section provides for maintenance of the trees, landscaping and irrigation in the City’s parks, public grounds and on City streets, rights-of-way, parkways, median islands and adjacent to freeway sound walls. Routine landscape maintenance operations such as mowing, trimming, weeding and trash disposal are provided by contract services. Likewise, the bulk of tree trimming is performed by a contractor wherein each street tree is trimmed every 2 to 3 years.
Assigned staff performs trimming, removal and replanting of trees in response to service requests received from the public, and responds to related emergencies. Staff also performs irrigation system maintenance, trouble-shooting and repairs, seasonal renovation and layout of athletic fields in support of the Downey Parks and Recreation program and Downey’s many youth and adult sports teams. Section staff also performs special landscape installation and renovation projects in City parks, street medians, parkways and public grounds and changes out banners and flags in the downtown area.
- Maintain the City’s parks and grounds using sound horticultural practices to provide attractive, safe and functional recreation areas and grounds.
- Improve turf management practices at City parks to offset the impact of increased sports activity by user groups.
- Upgrade, repair and adjust aging irrigation systems to optimize water use.
- Manage the City’s urban forest using sound arboricultural practices, including selective removal of dead, declining and undesirable trees, and planting new trees to replace those removed as a result of street construction and repairs, and to · Increase Downey’s green canopy cover.
- Remove diseased Oleander screen plantings throughout the City and replace them with less disease-prone, lower maintenance, drought tolerant California native species.
House Alert Tips
Watering Tips for Trees During this Drought
How often you will need to water depends on many variables, including weather, soil type, site conditions, irrigation system, tree age/size, and kind of tree. Click here to read about some simple approaches to help you evaluate conditions and apply water to keep trees healthy.
For additional information or any inquiries, please contact:
City of Downey
Public Works Department - Maintenance Services Division
12324 Bellflower Blvd
Downey, CA 90242
(562) 869-7365 fax