Think Green

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Residential Recycling Information

What Goes Where? Sorting Made EASY!

Black Trash Barrel

Black trash barrel Yes:
  • Cigarette Butts
  • Diapers
  • Food Waste
  • Solid food containers
  • Styrofoam
  • Waxed Paper
  • Palm fronds
  • Cactus
  • Ice Plant
  • Yucca plants


  • Dirt
  • Brick
  • Concrete
  • Construction debris
  • Household appliances
  • Electronics
  • Household hazardous waste: (oil, paint, fluorescent light bulbs)

Recycling Barrel

Blue recycling barrel


  • Aerosol cans
  • Aluminum cans
  • Beer and wine bottles
  • Brown paper bags
  • Catalogs
  • Chipboard (cereal boxes, shoe boxes, etc.)
  • Corrugated cardboard
  • Food jars
  • Glass juice & soft drink bottles
  • Glass water bottles
  • Junk mail
  • Magazines
  • Newspaper
  • Plastic bottles and jugs
  • Plastic salad dressing bottles
  • Telephone books
  • Tin and steel cans


  • Styrofoam
  • Broken glass
  • Electronics
  • Household hazardous waste (oil, paint, fluorescent light bulbs)

Green Waste Barrel

Green green-waste barrel


  • Grass clippings
  • Green plants
  • Garden trimmings
  • Leaves
  • Tree limbs under 4 ft. & 4 inches in diameter
  • Sawdust
  • Small wood scraps
  • Weeds
  • Wood chips


  • Palm fronds
  • Yucca plants
  • Ice plants

Do not put your yard waste in plastic trash bags.

Dry Cell Battery Collection

Batteries: AA, AAA, C, D, & 9-Volt place batteries in a clear bag taped to the lid of your recycling cart & set out your recycling cart on the normal scheduled collection day.

What can be recycled?

Free Bulky Waste Collection

Bulky waste collected 52 times per year up to five (5) items per pick up.
Call CALMET Services to schedule free bulky waste collection at 562.259.1239.
(Note: Multi-Family customers will be charged a fee for bulky waste collection).

CALMET SERVICES, INC – (562) 259-1239

Free Holiday Tree Pick-Up

  • December 26th through the following two weeks.
  • Place your tree out on your scheduled pick-up day.
  • Trees must be unwrapped, free of ornaments, lights, tinsel & strands.
  • Trees over 5 ft. must be cut in half. Small trees can be put in the green waste container.

E-Waste Collection

E-waste collection is free for residents. Call CALMET Services one business day prior to your collection day to schedule a pick-up of televisions, computers, and other electronic waste.
562-259-1239 x 244.

CALMET SERVICES, INC – (562) 259-1239

More Household Hazardous Waste and E-Waste Drop-off Options

The Permanent Household Hazardous Waste Collection Centers in Los Angeles & San Pedro are also free to Downey residents and will accept your HHW, E-waste, Universal S.A.F.E. Center Waste and Home-generated Sharps. Both sites OPEN EVERY Saturday & Sunday 9AM-3PM

S.A.F.E. Centers:

Washington Boulevard
2649 E. Washington Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90021

Gaffey St
1400 N. Gaffey St.
San Pedro, CA 90731

Also, regional collection events are provided by L.A .County throughout the year.

"Safe Drug Drop Off" and Sharps

Sites accept sharps, expired medications and controlled substances. Sharps must be disposed of in an appropriate, safe container. Drop off bins located near station entrances. No questions asked.

Norwalk Sheriff Station
12335 Civic Center Drive

Lakewood Sheriff Station
5130 N. Clark Avenue

Pico Rivera Sherrif Station
6631 Passons Blvd.

Beverage Container Recycling Information

Recycle Beverage Containers for Cash
(800) Recycle (800-732-9253)

Recycling – Used Motor Oil & Oil Filters

Some of the centers also collect used oil filters. Those centers are marked with an "*".

Please call the oil recycling centers for hours of operation and amount of oil accepted. The state certified used oil recycling centers are as follows:

  • Auto Zone 9920 Paramount Blvd. Phone: 776-3393
  • Auto Zone 13028 Paramount Blvd. Phone: 869-1545
  • *Champion Dodge 9655 E. Firestone Bl. Phone: 800-547-2617
  • *Downey Auto Wholesale 7255 E. Firestone Blvd. Phone: 928-3333
  • *Import Car Service 12107 S. Lakewood Blvd. Phone: 923-2814
  • *Jiffy Lube 7501 Firestone Blvd. Phone: 927-8806
  • *Jiffy Lube 12556 Lakewood Blvd. Phone: 869-7800
  • *O'Reilly Auto Parts 7839 Firestone Blvd. Phone: 861-9971
  • *Pep Boys 10231 Lakewood Blvd. Phone: 861-9909
  • *Firestone Store 9030 Cecilia St. Phone: 869-1597
  • *Penske Toyota 9136 Firestone Blvd. Phone: 843-2112 or 904-5600
  • *Downey Nissan 7550 Firestone Blvd. Phone: 334-1089
  • *Honda World Downey 11136 Dollison Dr. Phone: 929-7000

Commercial And Multi-Family Recycling Information

Bin sizes that are available to commercial businesses and Multi-Family include 1, 2,3,4,5 &, 6 yard bins. The fee varies according to the frequency of service, and the number and size of bins that are being serviced.

Multi-Family Commercial Bin Service – For Recycling

Bin sizes that are available to Multi-Family Commercial include 1, 2, 3, & 4 yard bins. The fee varies according to the frequency of service, and the number and size of containers that are being serviced.

Mandatory Recycling – (Commercial and Multi-Family Properties)

Effective July 1, 2012, a new State Law (AB 341) makes recycling mandatory for commercial and multi-family properties.

  • All businesses that generate four (4) or more cubic yards of waste weekly
  • Multi-family housing complexes with five (5) or more units

For more information on recycling and trash disposal, you can contact CALMET Services at (562) 259-1239 or visiting their website at AB341.

Information about Multi-Family recycling is available from the California Apartment Association at Commercial Collection Services.

AB 1826 - Mandatory Commercial Recycling

Construction & Demolition Waste Management Plan

Article V, Chapter 8 (Ordinance No. 09-1252) of the Downey Municipal Code requires that 100% of inert debris and at least 65% of the remaining construction and demolition(C&D) debris generated during a construction or demolition project, be diverted from landfill. Covered applicants are required to complete a C&D Waste Management Plan (Form A) that details anticipated diversion practices, and materials to be recycled or reused. The Waste Management Plan Compliance Report (Form B) must be submitted 30 days after the completion of the project.

Recycling Facilities

For more recycling information contact the Downey Recycling Division at (562) 904-7103 or contact:

Los Angeles County
Department of Public Works
(888) 253-2652

California Department of Resources
Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle)

CALMET Services, Inc.
(562) 259-1239

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer