Blanca Pacheco is the first Latina elected to the Downey City Council. Blanca Pacheco was elected in 2016, becoming the first Latina elected to the Downey City Council. In 2020, she became the first Latina to serve as the Mayor for the City of Downey. Blanca is a longtime resident of Downey and a product of the Downey Unified School District, graduating from East Middle School (now known as Doty Middle School) and Downey High School. She graduated from the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), where she received a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science with a specialization in Chicano Studies. Blanca went on to graduate from Loyola Law School, where she received a Juris Doctorate, and subsequently, passed the California State Bar Exam in 2003.
In addition to being a practicing attorney, Blanca has also been involved with numerous legal organizations, offering pro bono services and providing legal services to communities with limited means.
As a further testament to Blanca’s commitment to her community, she is also a member of several service organizations. She is a member of the Kiwanis Club of Downey, where she enjoys serving children in the community through leadership trainings for the youth, fundraising events, and providing scholarships for local high school students. She served as President for the Kiwanis Club from 2014-15, and in doing so, received the Distinguished President’s Award. Blanca is a member of Gangs Out of Downey (G.O.O.D) and the Downey Elks Lodge. Blanca’s passion for serving her community was recognized in 2016 when she received the City of Downey “Woman of the Year” Award from Assemblymember Cristina Garcia.
Blanca’s eagerness to serve her community has led to her involvement in various organization to expand her knowledge and to further help her city by advocating for/or against various state legislative bills. She is currently the Chair of the League of California Cities’ Housing, Community and Economic Development Policy Committee. She is also the Vice President of the League of California Cities’ Los Angeles Division. In addition, she is on the executive board for California Contract Cities Associations. She understands the importance of expanding her knowledge in these organizations to help meet the needs of our city.
When Blanca is not working or volunteering, she enjoys spending time with her two dogs, Mr. Belvedere and Jackson. She enjoys taking them for long walks in her neighborhood and spending quality time with them.
Inter-Government Committees Boards, City Standing Subcommittees, Ad Hoc Subcommittees
- Clean Power Alliance of Southern California formerly Los Angeles Community Choice Energy Authority (LACCE)
- Gateway Cities Council of Governments SR-91/I-605/I-405 Corridor Cities Committee
- Independent Cities Risk Management Authority (ICRMA)
- League of California Cities, L.A. County
- Los Angeles City Committee
- Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County (2 and 18)
- South East Area Animal Control Authority (SEAACA)
- South East Los Angeles Workforce Investment Policy Board (SELACO WDB)
- Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG) General Assembly & Regional Council District 25
- Budget Subcommittee
- Civic Theatre Review Subcommittee
- Homelessness Subcommittee
- Revitalization of the City/School District Task Force
- Rio Hondo Golf Club Subcommittee
- Veterans Subcommittee
- Website Subcommittee
- 2020 United States Census Ad Hoc Subcommittee
Term in Office
December 2016 - December 2020
Downey City Hall
City Council Office
11111 Brookshire Ave
Downey, CA 90241