The City of Downey’s contribution matters to the United States Census 2020. The U.S. Census Bureau compiles detailed information from each and every city to look at the demographics throughout the nation. Your participation helps to provide an accurate picture of who we are as a city and ensures that the hard to count groups (local vendors, seniors, young children, and those experiencing homelessness) are all counted.
The City of Downey is located in southeastern part of Los Angeles County and consists of 12.8 square miles in area. Downey was incorporated in 1956 and the population was estimated by the Department of Finance to be 113,832 as of June 2018.
Find the easy and useful links below on more Census information and how you can participate.
Downey Census Facts
U.S.Census 2020 Website: 2020census.gov
California 2020 Census Website: census.ca.gov
L.A. County 2020 Census Website: census.lacounty.gov
Key Dates for Upcoming 2020 Census
- March 12-20, 2020- An invitation to respond online to the 2020 Census. (Some households will also receive paper questionnaires.)
- March 16-24, 2020- A reminder letter. If you haven’t responded yet.
- March 26 – April 3, 2020 – A reminder postcard.
- April 1, 2020- Census Day. By this date, every home will receive an invitation to participate in the 2020 Census.
- April 8-16, 2020- A reminder letter and paper questionnaire.
- April 20-27, 2020- A final reminder postcard before we follow up in person.