At least one working day prior to your garage sale you must purchase a Garage/Yard Sale permit at Downey City Hall, Cashier Counter. The permit costs $10.00. You may have your sale for two consecutive days, or 3 consecutive days on a City holiday weekend. Whomever purchases the permit at City Hall must show a valid photo I.D. and proof of residency at the address of the sale.
Garage/Yard sales are subject to the following:
- Resident purchasing permit must be present at garage/yard sale at all times.
- Inclement weather may extend the period of time equal to the days lost.
- The merchandise offered for sale shall consist of the resident’s personal goods only. New merchandise may not be offered for sale.
- It is illegal to post signs on public utility poles, street signs, traffic signs, trees and in the public right-of-way. Posting of such signs will result in you being assessed a $25.00 removal fee for each sign and the filing of a criminal complaint.
- The permit must be posted in a conspicuous location where it may be viewed from the street.
- In the event of apartments, multi-party or block sales each address or unit where goods are offered for sale must have a permit.
- All sale areas are restricted to the garage and driveway area. If no driveway exists one-half (1/2) of the property width in the front yard may be used for sale of merchandise.
If you have any questions regarding Garage/Yard sales please call the City Code Enforcement Unit at (562) 904-2392.
City of Downey
11111 Brookshire Avenue
Downey, CA 90241